Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Looking back on my harvest

Have no idea when this first entry was written I believe it was 2010 or 2011.

I have been thinking about my garden and how successful it has been. I have had some challenges at first and I still need to do more weeding but over all my garden has been a success. I spent every day in July almost picking raspberries. I froze a quart and we ate at least that much or more. My zucchini started off slow.

2013
My garden has never been as successful as this year. Still have some weeding problems. I spent more time this spring tilling the ground and increasing the size of my garden. So my garden was a bit later than most in my area. When there plants stopped my were just getting started.

 I got tomatoes 3 different variates, corn (enough for 3 meals), anaheim chili peppers , green beans (enough for  a few snacks for me and some for 2 of my kids that have finally declared they like them. Not as much as they hoped for since I only planted for me I did good.) Got some lime basil and used it a few times before it flowered I used it a few times after it flowered. Used my chives more this year in a few dishes. Have always grown chives but I don't use them. Guess I forget I have them or something. Got some melons they were a variety of honeydews. Shared a few and ate about 3 of them. I was the only one who would eat them so I am not planting them again. I also got some eggplants. I got enough for 3 meals for the family and I got to share them with three other families; gave each family 2 since they were small.

The jewel of my garden was the 4 cucumber plants. I planted 2 varieties and the smooth skinned ones that are similar to english cucumbers called Diva were the favourite. We got about 14-16 a week and we did go through that many for about 2 months then towards the end the plants slowed down and we weren't as enthusiastic about them either. I made 3 cucumber salads through out the season. And I made some refrigerator pickles out of some of them. They were eaten in larger quantities and more quickly when I made them into a salad or pickles.  Most plants survived until the cold spell killed them at the first of October.

I also got one carrot which is more than I usually get, I might get 2-3 more. That are still in the ground. I planted some beets in about Aug.  as well and got about 6-8 of them. I pickled them they were very good.




No comments:

Post a Comment