Saturday, August 29, 2009

Looking back on my harvest

I have been thinking about my garden and how successful it has been. I have had some challenges at first and I still need to do more weeding but over all my garden has been a success. I spent every day in July almost picking raspberries. I froze a quart and we ate at least that much or more. My zucchini started off slow and I have had a total of 4 to 6 so far. They were only 12 oz total so far. They got two then stopped until recently. At least they didn't die this year like they usually do. Also I haven't felt like I was over loaded with Zucchini. My yellow squash did the same thing it got a few but now it has been producing like crazy. I made muffins out of some of them it took almost four to get enough for the recipe, so they are small. (It called for 2 pounds.) I have 3 more of them in the fridge right now. And we ate some of them raw just cut up about 1 pound so I think a total of 3 pounds so far.

I have gotten about 6 handfuls of green beans a few ounces at a time. total 1 pound. I lost half of my plants to disease. It looks like I will loose the others soon to. I hope to have some cantalope and watermelon. Oh yeah my peas did very well. I stopped weighing what I picked we would just go out and pick a snack off the vine. The kids did that a few times. They also lasted till this week they were producing from June until the first of this week when I finally pulled them up since most of the vines had died. I got at least 2 pounds or so of course that is just a rough estimate. I might have gotten a little more. I don't think I have reached my goal of 10 pounds yet I need to look back and add up the berries. From just the vegetable listed in this blog it looks like I have picked around 5 pounds plus what I got in berries. Not bad for a small garden. I still have tomatoes growing they aren't ripe yet so I hope to get some of those to count.

I have had the best year ever. I have never done so well with my garden it has been weeded more often and has produced more and done better than all the past years. I also had a goal and that has helped a lot. I also got a few carrots I almost forgot about them. I hope to grow more as well as some turnips before it gets cold we will see how I do. I should also plant my winter lettuce that I have never tried out before. I bought the seeds a few years back and have never planted any of them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment